I’ve been boycotting the oven and stove recently because it’s been so hot in Seattle. But, alas, the quiet call of carbohydrates started as a whisper and slowly escalated to a beckoning chant. I quickly succumbed to the creamy pasta rallying cry and brought this recipe to life on a toasty Seattle evening.
Fortunately, there’s minimal stove time involved in this one, and it takes less than 30 minutes to get from a pot of boiling water to a belly full of avocado pasta. This dish is so incredibly creamy–a wonderful alternative to the traditional tomato and cream pasta sauces.
avocado pasta and wine
The purpose of these wine pairings are to keep this recipe’s creaminess delightfully contained. We want to layer in crisp, acidic, and light wines to balance the healthy fats of the avocado and refresh your tongue in-between bites. I recommend sticking with your whites and rosés:
- Vinho Verde– Portuguese white wine that is light and spritzy, similar to a limeade with bright citrus flavors. It is a refreshing summer wine, perfect when the heat is high.
- Suggested Regions: Minho Region, Northern Portugal
- Chablis – Chardonnay from Chablis in Burgundy, France. Citrus and pear flavors with a distinct minerality. Lean and light, with a distinct flavor profile due to the chalky clay soil of the region.
- Champagne – If you’re looking for bubbles and want a strong palate cleanser, go with a sparkling wine like Champagne. Look for a brut (dry) bottle or ask a store employee for a high acidity bottle.
- Suggested Regions: Côte des Blancs or Côte des Sézanne (both mostly Chardonnay).
Creamy Avocado Pasta
Creamy, delicious, filling, and easy-to-make. Fresh basil, avocado, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and fresh cherry tomatoes.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- Category: Mains, Vegan, Side, Vegetarian, Pasta
- Method: Blending
- Cuisine: American, Vegan, Healthy
- 12 ounces spaghetti
- 2 ripe avocados, halved, seeded and peeled
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1.5 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- In large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package. When al dente, drain and set aside.
- To make the avocado sauce, combine avocados, basil, garlic, oil, and lemon juice in food processor. Blend on high until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl, combine pasta, avocado sauce, and cherry tomatoes until evenly coated.
- To serve, top with additional cherry tomatoes, fresh basil, or lemon zest.
- Best when fresh. Avocado will oxidize over time so store leftovers in covered container in refrigerator up to 1 day.
*Recipe is a guide. Adapt ingredients and measurements as desired. Adapted from Damn Delicious’ Avocado Pasta.
Keywords: avocado pasta, healthy pasta, creamy avocado pasta, vegan avocado pasta