Easy Chana Masala
Easy vegan chana masala with stewed chickpeas, tomatoes, Serrano peppers, and a delicious spice blend.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 5 servings
- Category: Mains, Vegan, Healthy
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Indian
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1-2 Serrano peppers, seeded and minced (depending on spice tolerance)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (28 ounces) pureed or diced tomatoes, with their juices
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2-3 teaspoons cane or coconut sugar
- 1 cup uncooked brown basmati rice or naan or serving
- Fresh cilantro, chopped, for garnishing
- If you’re planning to prepare rice to serve chana masala over, cook rice (I recommend basmati) according to package directions.While rice is cooking, heat the olive oil over medium heat in large Dutch oven or pan. Once heated, add the onion, garlic, ginger and serrano peppers. Cook for about five minutes, stirring often. Stir in the cumin, garam masala, coriander, turmeric, salt and cayenne, and cook for two more minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and their juices. Use a cooking spoon or spatula to break the tomatoes apart. You can leave some chunks of tomato for texture.
- Raise the heat to medium-high and add the chickpeas. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 15 – 20 minutes until liquid has cooked off to create a thick stew consistency.
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice. Taste to season, adding more salt to increase saltiness and sugar to balance the heat of the dish.
- Serve over rice or with naan bread if desired. Garnish with a lemon wedge and a sprinkle of fresh cilantro.
- Leftovers store well. Store covered in refrigerator for up to 4 days.
*Recipe is a guide. Adapt as needed. Inspired by Quick Chana Masala by Cookie and Kate.
Keywords: vegan chana masala, chana masala, vegan Indian food, chickpea stew