Easy Crispy Tofu
This easy crispy tofu recipe has three steps to perfection: (1) press, (2) pan fry, and (3) bake. This recipe is versatile and will take on the flavors it is cooked with, making it a flexible source of protein for many different meals.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Protein
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Asian
- 16 ounces extra firm tofu
- Pinch sea salt
- 1-2 tsp desired seasoning (such as curry powder, chili powder, cumin, etc.)
- 2 Tbsp neutral oil, such as grapeseed oil
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Wrap the tofu block in an absorbent towel, surrounding the towel with absorbent towels. Set something heavy on top (cast iron pans are your friend!) to press out extra moisture. Let the tofu press sit for at least 10 minutes.
Unwrap tofu and cut into small cubes.
Put tofu cubes in a medium mixing bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of oil to coat the tofu and season with a pinch of salt and desired seasoning, which will vary depending on your dish. Mix until evenly distributed.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the remaining tablespoon oil and the seasoned tofu. Sauté for 5 minutes, making sure to brown the tofu on all sides.
- Once tofu is seasoned on all sides, remove from heat. Line baking sheet with parchment paper to avoid tofu sticking to the sheet and add tofu cubes.
Bake about 15 minutes, or until the tofu is firm and begins to dry out and crisp up. If you want crispier tofu, bake it for longer, keeping an eye on it so it doesn’t dry out too much. You don’t want tofu rocks.
- Once desired crispiness is achieved, remove from oven. This is the ideal time to toss the tofu in a marinade or sauce, depending on your dish.
Best when fresh. Store in covered container in refrigerator up to 4 days.
Keywords: crispy tofu, tofu, baked tofu, tofu for fried rice, how to make tofu, tofu recipe