The average lifespan of an olive tree is 300 to 600 years. The oldest olive tree in the world is over 4,000 years old. Olives deserve respect, and this hummus delivers a culinary ode of wisdom and flavor greatness.Every time we pop into Trader Joe’s, we leave with olive hummus. The 7 oz tub lasts approximately 1.5 days before mysteriously disappearing. I have two suspects in mind—one is actually able to open the fridge and the other is our dog, Otis. So, in order to guarantee hummus on day two, I realized it was time to take action.
This recipe blends green and Kalamata olives directly into the hummus for flavor infusion, and uses chopped olives as a topper for texture variety. It’s a great snack with your favorite crackers, pita chips, bagel, toast, or veggies. Go get it!
Let us know how you olive hummus lovefest goes! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #plantandvine on Instagram.Print
Easy Olive Hummus
Easy and delicious homemade olive hummus recipe infused with olive flavor and topped with chopped olives for extra texture.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- Yield: 3 cups
- Category: Side
- Method: Blend
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- 2 cans chickpeas, rinsed, drained, and skins removed (ideally but ok to skip if short on time)
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed with the side of a knife1
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 kalamata olives, whole
- 6 green olives, whole
- 1/3 cup kalamata olives, chopped
- 1/4 cup green olives, chopped
- Place all ingredients except for chopped olives in food processor. Blend until smooth and creamy, about 4-5 minutes. Scrape down sides as needed to ensure even blending. Add more water, a few tablespoons at a time, until your hummus reaches the desired consistency. I used about 3/4 of a cup of water. Add more vinegar for tang and salt to bring out flavors as needed.
- Once blended smooth, remove from processor. Refrigerate covered for at least one hour before serving. Garnish with chopped olives for additional texture.
*Recipe is a guide. Adapt ingredients and measurements as desired.
Keywords: olive hummus, black olive hummus, easy olive hummus