Easy Vegan Falafel
Vegan falafel recipe that’s a healthier home-based version of deep fried restaurant falafel.
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours, 5 minutes
- Yield: 12 falafel
- Category: Vegan, Vegetarian, Middle Eastern, Main
- Method: Frying
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern, Mediterranean
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas (rinsed, drained, and patted dry)
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup white onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup raw pecans
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon each sea salt and black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4-6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3-4 tablespoons neutral oil with high smoke point for cooking
- Panko bread crumbs for coating
- Add chickpeas, parsley, onion, garlic, pecans, cumin, salt, pepper, coriander, and cardamom to a food processor or blender. Pulse to combine, scraping down sides as needed. If you want your falafel to have a smoother texture, pulse until a smooth paste forms. If you prefer a more traditional texture, pulse until roughly blended and still crumbly looking.
- Add 1 tablespoon of flour at a time and pulse to combine. The goal is to dry out the dough so it doesn’t stick to your hands while forming the falafel. I used about 6 tablespoons of flour.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. I added a bit more salt and pepper to bring out the other spices. The falafel should be flavorful so don’t worry if it feels like you’re adding a lot of spice.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours. This step is not required but it will help the falafel be less sticky when forming the patties and stronger during the cooking process.
- On a separate plate, pour Panko bread crumbs to form a thin layer (this will be used for coating the falafel).
- Once chilled, scoop out rounded tablespoons and gently form into small discs. Coat each small disc with Panko bread crumbs on both sides.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add enough oil to generously coat the pan (about 2 tablespoons).
- Once the oil is hot, add only as many falafel as will fit comfortably in the pan at one time. I did two rounds of falafel cooking.
- Cook for a total of 4-6 minutes, flipping halfway when the underside is deep golden brown. Repeat until all falafel are browned – the deeper golden brown they are, the crispier they’ll be. They will also firm up more once slightly cooled.
- Once cooked, transfer to plate lined with paper towels in order to soak up any excess oil before serving.
- Serve warm with vegan tzatziki or olive hummus, inside a pita with desired toppings or atop greens.
- Best when fresh. Store leftovers in covered container in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Keywords: falafal, vegan falafel recipe, vegan falafel