Easy Vegan Fried Rice
A quick and easy vegan fried rice recipe that’s perfect for any of your favorite vegetables and proteins for a weeknight meal.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Rice
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: Asian
rice and vegetables
- 1 cup brown rice, rinsed in mesh strainer
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup green onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup peas (we used frozen peas)
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup white onion, diced
- Crispy Tofu
- Seaweed for topping
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter (can use crunchy if needed)
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar or maple syrup
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 tsp chili garlic sauce or Sriracha
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Bring 12 cups of water to a boil in a large pot. Once boiling, add rinsed rice and stir so rice doesn’t stick to bottom of pan. Boil on high uncovered for 30 minutes, then remove rice and strain the water out (like pasta). Return rice to the original pot and remove from heat. Cover with a lid and let steam for 10 minutes.
- While rice is cooking, prepare crispy tofu.
- Create sauce by adding all ingredients to a medium-size bowl and whisking to combine. Taste and adjust flavor as needed.
- Once the tofu is done baking, add directly to the sauce’s bowl. Make sure to coat all tofu cubes in marinade. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Heat a large metal skillet or wok over medium heat. Once skillet is heated, scoop the tofu into the pan, leaving most of the sauce behind. Cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until deep golden brown on all sides. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Using the same hot skillet, add garlic, green onion, peas, onion, and carrots. Sauté for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, and season with 1 tablespoon soy sauce. The veggies should still have some crunch.
- Add cooked rice, tofu, and remaining sauce to skillet. Cook over medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Serve immediately. For additional saltiness and umami (savoriness), add more soy sauce. For additional spice, add more Sriracha. Top with fresh sliced green onions and dried seaweed.
- Best when fresh. Leftovers in the refrigerator for 4 days.
Keywords: fried rice, vegan fried rice, fried rice and tofu, easy fried rice