Hearty Vegan Minestrone Soup
Hearty, rustic, easy vegan minestrone soup that’s perfect for fall or winter evenings.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 60 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- Category: Vegan, Vegetarian, Pasta, Main, Soup
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: American, Italian, Vegan, Healthy
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided into 3 tablespoons and 1 tablespoon
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 3 cups chopped seasonal vegetables (I used potatoes and green beans)
- 7 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 large can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 bay leaves
- Pinch of red pepper flakes or cayenne
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup dried pasta (elbow, mini farfalle, or pipette)
- 1 can kidney or navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups spinach or chopped kale
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Fresh herbs, such as thyme or basil, for garnishing (optional)
- Add 3 tablespoons of olive oil to a large soup pot over medium heat. When the oil is warmed, add the onion, carrot, celery, tomato paste and a generous pinch of salt. Stirring frequently, cook until the vegetables have softened, about 7 minutes.
- Add the seasonal vegetables, garlic, oregano and thyme. Cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, broth, water, salt, bay leaves, a generous pinch of red pepper flakes, and freshly ground black pepper.
- Increase heat to medium-high to bring the soup to a boil. Partially cover the pot with a lid, leaving a small gap for steam to escape. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer, not a rolling boil. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove lid and add the pasta, beans, and greens. Continue simmering, uncovered, for 15 – 20 minutes. You want the pasta to be al dente and the greens to be soft.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Stir in the lemon juice and remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Taste and season as desired, with additional salt for flavor intensity, black pepper or red pepper flakes for heat, or oregano and thyme for herbiness.
- Store in covered container in refrigerator up to 4 days. As with most soups, the flavors will continue to meld and develop over time.
*Recipe is a guide. Adapt as desired. Adapted from Cookie & Kate.
Keywords: vegan minestrone soup, minestrone soup, easy minestrone soup, Italian minestrone soup