Mushroom Lentil Soup with Kale
Savory and hearty mushroom lentil soup recipe. Perfect for fall and winter comfort food but light enough for a year-round go-to.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Soup, Vegan, Vegetarian
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: American, Vegan, Healthy
- 1 cup dried French Green Lentils
- 4 cups vegetable stock, divided
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 pound mushrooms, quartered (we used Cremini)
- 8 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup dry white wine (we used a dry Chardonnay)
- 1/2 cup full fat canned coconut milk
- 6-8 ounces kale, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped green onions for topping (optional)
- Rinse lentils using a strainer. Put lentils and bay leaves in a soup pot with 3 cups of the vegetable stock (reserve remaining 1 cup for later). Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium low, cover, and cook until the lentils are tender, about 20-25 minutes. Remove from heat and discard the bay leaves.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant and soft, about 3-5 minutes).
- Add the mushrooms and salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms soften, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the wine and deglaze the pan. Cook until most of the wine has evaporated.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and add the coconut cream, remaining 1 cup of vegetable stock, cooked lentils (I added the remaining lentil liquid but you can choose depending on how thick you want the soup), and kale. Cook until kale begins to wilt. Season to taste with plenty of salt and pepper and serve warm.
- Store in covered container in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Keywords: lentil soup, mushroom soup, vegan lentil soup, french lentils