Quick Pickled Onions
Quick pickled onion recipe that gives a tangy zing to your favorite dishes. Easy, versatile, and great to stock in the fridge.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 65 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- Category: Side, Vegan, Salad
- Method: Pickling
- Cuisine: American, Mexican
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar (can also use red wine vinegar or white distilled vinegar)
- 1 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- Whisk water, vinegar, sugar, salt together until sugar and salt dissolve.
- Pour mixture over the top of onions in a mason jar or other similar glass jar. Put lid on. If onions aren’t fully submerged, add additional water and vinegar in 50/50 ratio.
- Let sit at room temperature for an hour if you plan to use the quick pickled onions immediately. If not, place in fridge. Pickled onions will continue to get tangier as time goes on. Will hold in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Drain before serving.
*Recipe is a guide. Adapt ingredients and measurements as desired.
Keywords: quick pickled onions, pickled onions, pickled red onions