Raw Beet Salad
Colorful and nutrient-dense raw beet salad packed with delicious superfoods.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Salad
- Method: Tossing
- Cuisine: American, Vegan, Healthy, Salad
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 1 1/2 cup frozen edamame
- 1/3 cup pepitas or almonds, toasted
- 2 raw beets, peeled
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 3 cups packed baby spinach or arugula, roughly chopped
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Prepare the quinoa: rinse quinoa in a fine mesh colander under running water. In a medium-sized pot, combine the quinoa and 1 cup water. Bring the mixture to a low boil, then cover, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for 15 minutes. Remove the quinoa from heat and let it rest for 5 minutes (still covered). Uncover the pot, drain off any excess water, and fluff the quinoa with a fork. Set aside to cool.
- For the edamame: Bring a pot of water to boil, add the frozen edamame, and cook until the edamame is warm, about 3 – 5 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
- To toast the pepitas: In a small skillet over medium heat, toast the almonds or pepitas, stirring frequently, until they are fragrant and starting to turn golden on the edges, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large serving bowl to cool. The pepitas might make a small hissing sound so don’t feel alarmed if you hear this; the pepitas will cool down and this sound will stop.
- To chop the beets and carrots: Finely chop into small sticks (similar to julienned) or grate them on a box grater.
- To make the vinaigrette: Whisk together all of the ingredients until mixed.
- To make the salad: In your large serving bowl, combine the pepitas, edamame, chopped beets and carrots, spinach, cubed avocado, and cooked quinoa.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad, starting with about half of the dressing and adding more until desired level is reached, and toss to combine. You might not need all of the dressing. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Store all components separately in covered containers in refrigerator. When making leftovers, combine all ingredients and toss with dressing.
Keywords: beet salad, healthy beet salad, colorful beet salad, raw beet salad