Sweet Potato Quinoa Salad
Roasted sweet potato quinoa salad – delicious as a side dish, main dish, or salad topping.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 5 servings
- Category: American, Vegan, Side, Salad
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American, Vegan, Healthy
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, diced (about 1/2″ pieces)
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 3/4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups curly kale, stemmed and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup roasted, salted sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, firmly packed
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley leaves, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 425 F. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with tin foil.
- Put chopped sweet potatoes on the prepared baking sheet and toss them with olive oil. Generously season with salt and pepper. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven, quickly toss, and bake for additional 10 to 15 minutes, until browning. Set aside to cool.
- While potatoes are cooking, prepare the quinoa. Combine the rinsed quinoa and broth in a medium saucepan. I recommend following the liquid:quinoa ratio as recommended on the quinoa’s packaging. This recipe includes a suggested amount of broth but I would default to the package suggestions. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then decrease the heat to maintain a simmer, cover, and cook until the quinoa has absorbed the liquid, about 20 minutes. Fluff the quinoa with a fork and set aside to cool.
- For the vinaigrette, combine all of the ingredients in a food processor and blend until desired texture is reached. I like my dressing smooth in texture.
- Put chopped kale to a large serving bowl (this is the bowl where you will combine everything so that should help you estimate size). Sprinkle with a generous dash of salt and use your hands to massage the kale. This helps break down the rough fiber of the kale and makes it easier to eat. Gently squeeze kale until the kale is darker in color and it becomes fragrant (about 15 seconds).
- Add the sweet potatoes, quinoa, and sliced basil to the bowl. Drizzle with about 1/3 cup dressing and gently toss until all of the ingredients are evenly coated. Taste and mix in more dressing if desired. I ended up using about 2/3 of the dressing.
- When ready to serve, top with sunflower seeds. I like keeping the sunflower seeds separate until serving to help preserve maximum crunchy texture.
- Serve the salad at room temperature or cold.
- Store leftovers in covered container in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Keywords: roasted sweet potato quinoa salad, vegan sweet potato quinoa salad, roasted sweet potato