It’s summer in Seattle and this vegan asparagus soup is helping me celebrate. When it’s hot outside the last thing I typically want is soup, but this dish is light enough to make it into my spring and summer rotation.Asparagus is one of the first veggies to ripen in the spring, so the timing couldn’t be better for this soup. Full of folate and vitamins A, C, E and K, asparagus packs a healthy punch. Leeks aren’t slackers either, bringing antioxidants and a subtle onion garlic goodness. This soup is easy to make and requires less than 10 ingredients, so you can throw it together when you’re short on time. It also holds well for a few days and picks up additional flavor with time, so it’s perfect for fueling many a summer nights.
Asparagus Soup and Wine
Asparagus may be skinny but it can put up a tough fight when it comes to wine pairing. For starters, asparagus is intensely vegetal and grassy. Compounded with methionine, a sulfurous amino acid, asparagus can destroy complex flavor profiles. It’s been named the “Kryptonite of Vegetables” for wine and is said to turn all sips into similarly vegetal, grassy tastes. Fortunately, this recipe does the work for you by mellowing the asparagus with a creamy ingredient (coconut milk) that opens this meal up perfectly to bright, clean whites:
- New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc – Juicy, bright, and zingy! Think lime, grapefruit, lemongrass, and a freshly cut lawn.
- Alsace Riesling– Citrus, stone-fruit, and floral. Dry and crisp French wine. Alsace is known for its Rieslings; classic.
- Pinot Gris (French) or Pinot Grigio (Italian)– Lemon, lime, green apple. A heavier, less poppy white.
Vegan Asparagus Soup
Simple and delicious 9-ingredient vegan asparagus leek soup. Asparagus, leeks, garlic, and a little coconut milk. A year-round favorite.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: American, Vegan, Healthy
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or vegan butter
- 2 large leeks, chopped (including the white and pale green parts)
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 bunches of asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 5 cups vegetable stock + additional to thin if needed
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Minced parsley for serving
- Heat the vegan butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Once warmed, add the chopped leeks and cook, stirring occasionally until fragrant (5 minutes).
- Add the garlic and asparagus and cook for 1 minute longer. Stir occasionally so garlic doesn’t stick to pan.
- Add the vegetable stock and a hefty pinch of salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until the asparagus is tender (10-15 minutes).
- Remove from the heat and transfer the soup to a high speed blender along with the coconut milk. Blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Return the soup to the pot, add the lemon juice, and keep on low for about 5 minutes to let the flavors meld.
- Taste for seasonings and add more salt and pepper if necessary.
- When ready to serve, top with fresh minced parsley or freshly cracked pepper.
- Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator up to 4 days. The flavors will become more pronounced with time.
*Recipe is a guide. Adapt ingredients and measurements as desired. Adapted from Dishing Up the Dirt’s Simple Asparagus & Leek Soup.
Keywords: vegan asparagus soup, asparagus soup, asparagus leek soup, vegan soup, asparagus