Ah, avocado toast. As a millennial, I know it well. The pride and pain of the millennial existence! The reason why 20 and 30-somethings can’t afford a house! That’s right, my friends, $13 avocado toast brunches are bankrupting a generation before our very eyes. Do you have a millennial in your life that just can’t forgo creamy avocado toast deliciousness? Here’s my solution—smash some avocados at home and start shoveling the saved dollars towards student loan debt. Now, where’s my trophy?!
Millennials are also apparently cooking-illiterate so we are reduced to mashing avocados and trying not to burn toast. Or, to paraphrase the famous Baby Boomer, Marie Antoinette: “Let them eat toast!” So avocado toast we shall eat in volume. I added microgreens and raw pepitas to up the millenial ante (and because they’re delicious, add good texture, and nourish the body). Oh, and guess what? This meal’s simplicity doesn’t break the bank because all you need is bread, avocados, greens, and seeds. Top with Sriracha, toasted sesame oil, balsamic vinaigrette, or vegan parmesan cheese.
Now, if you want really want to be extra, you can fan your avocados like you took Marie Antoinette’s advice to heart while you sip your wine. You’re the queen of your kitchen and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.
avocado toast and wine
Avocados are creamy and chock full of healthy fats, so our mission is to break up the fat with some crisp acidity. In the wine world, avocado gets a bad reputation (same with asparagus) for being a difficult pairing. Never fear. You can pair wine with just about anything if you add a little creativity:
- Sauvignon Blanc – The herbaceous loveliness of a zingy New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc plays well with all of the green in this dish.
- Suggested Regions: Marlborough or Hawke’s Bay
- Verdejo – Spanish light white wine with flavors of lime, fennel, and white peach. If you’re trying to expand your wine horizons, go with Verdejo. It is often compared to Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Gris.
- Suggested Regions: Rueda, Spain
- Crémant – Sparkling wine similar to Champagne but typically more affordable and made in other areas of France besides Champagne. The bubbles will tickle your taste buds clean.
- Suggested Regions: Alsace, Burgundy, or Loire, France
Vegan Avocado Toast
Healthy and easy vegan avocado toast with microgreens and raw pepitas. A great breakfast, snack, lunch, or light dinner option. Top with Sriracha, toasted sesame oil, balsamic vinaigrette, or vegan parmesan cheese.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 3 servings
- Category: Breakfast, lunch, side, main
- Method: Slicing
- Cuisine: American, Breakfast
- 2-3 pieces of whole wheat toast
- 2 avocados
- 1 cup microgreens
- 1/4 cup raw pepitas
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Flaked sea salt
- For topping: Drizzled sesame oil, balsamic vinaigrette, Sriracha sauce, or vegan parmesan cheese
- Cut avocados in half. If you want to feel fancy, you can fan the avocados or you can scoop out the flesh into small mixing bowl and smash with a fork. Photos reference both methods.
- Spread avocado on warm toast.
- Top with microgreens, flaked sea salt, and pepitas. Drizzle with sesame oil, balsamic vinaigrette, or Sriracha.
- Best served fresh. Avocado will hold covered in refrigerator for 1 day but expect some browning. If you want to reduce browning, use remaining 1/2 lime juice drizzled over top of avocado.
*Recipe is a guide. Adapt ingredients and measurements as desired.
Keywords: avocado toast, vegan avocado toast, avocado toast with microgreens