Vegan Broccoli Soup
Healthy and simple vegan broccoli soup. Good for getting your veggies in.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- Category: Vegan, Vegetarian, Soup, Main
- Method: Blending
- Cuisine: American, Vegan, Healthy
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 3 small Yukon Gold potatoes, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 yellow or white onion, chopped
- 2 heads of broccoli, chopped (about 5 – 6 cups)
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Optional toppings: vegan cheese, fresh chopped parsley, fresh ground pepper
- Add cashews and 1 cup of vegetable broth to blender and blend until smooth, about 1 minute. Set aside.
- In separate large soup pot, add remaining 5 cups vegetable broth, potatoes, onion, and carrot. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in broccoli, basil, and cayenne; return to a simmer. Cover and cook until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add cashew cream mixture, salt, and pepper to soup. Bring to a simmer and immediately remove from heat.
- Transfer the soup to a blender; blend until smooth. For a chunkier texture, only blend about half of soup. For smoother texture, blend all of soup. Return blended soup to pot and stir well. Add additional salt and pepper as desired. Top with vegan cheese, fresh chopped parsley, and fresh ground pepper.
- Keeps well in the refrigerator and flavors will continue to emerge with longer time. Store in covered container in refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
*Recipe is a guide. Adapt as desired.
Keywords: vegan broccoli soup, broccoli soup, creamy broccoli soup