Vegan Burrito Bowl
A hearty vegan burrito bowl and a new favorite around our house. Pair with a crisp white or a big jammy red wine for a dreamy combo.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- Category: Mains, Vegan, Bowls
- Method: Frying
- Cuisine: American, Mexican
- 2 medium beets, diced
- 1 large sweet potato, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil for cooking
Avocado Cilantro Sauce:
- 1 jalapeño, broiled for 3-5 minutes and then de-seeded
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup raw pepitas, toasted
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- Juice of 1 lime, plus additional lime juice to thin as needed
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 avocado
For the Bowls:
- Quick Pickled Onions
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked to directions
- 1 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 head red cabbage, thinly sliced and tossed in apple cider vinegar
- 5 corn tortillas, cut and fried in small strips
- Oil to fry tortilla strips
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Make Quick Pickled Onions. These will need an hour to sit.
- While onions are pickling, make rice accordingly to package directions. When ready, fluff with fork and set aside.
- Avocado cilantro sauce: Roast jalapeño by preheating oven to broil. Cut the jalapeño in half (lengthwise) and remove seeds. Place jalapeño halves seed side down on tinfoil lined baking sheet and put into oven on top shelf near broilers. Roast for 3-4 minutes until pepper skin is charred, with a few patches of green remaining. Remove from oven to cool. Put the cooled jalapeño in small food processor, along with the garlic, pepitas, sea salt, cilantro, lime juice, vinegar, olive oil, water and avocado. Blend until smooth. If sauce is too thick, you can thin it with additional lime juice or red or white wine vinegar if you don’t have additional limes. Put in refrigerator until ready to use; it will firm in the fridge. Best fresh but can keep covered in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Cumin vegetables: Heat skillet over medium heat. While warming, in a separate bowl, mix diced vegetables and garlic powder, chili powder, and cumin until evenly coated. Once skillet is hot, add oil and vegetables. Cook about 8 – 12 minutes stirring occasionally until tender. Cover and set aside.
- Tortilla strips: Heat medium skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add oil. When oil is heated, add tortilla strips to fry them lightly on each side. This takes around 1-2 minutes per side, flipping so each side is golden with some browning spots.
- To assemble bowls, put rice as base. Add pickled onions, cherry tomatoes, avocado cilantro sauce, cumin vegetables, red cabbage. Top with tortilla strips and cilantro.
- Best when fresh. To store, keep ingredients separate in covered containers in refrigerator. Will keep up to 4 days.
*Recipe is a guide. Adapt ingredients and measurements as desired. Avocado Cilantro sauce adapted from Sprouted Kitchen’s Mexi Bowl Sauce.
Keywords: vegan burrito bowl, burrito bowl, healthy bowls