Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
This vegan cream of mushroom soup recipe is hearty, delicious, and easy to make. A perfect fall and winter warmer soup.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Vegan, Vegetarian, Soup, Main, Appetizer
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: American, Vegan, Healthy
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 white or yellow onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 3 packs (8 oz each) cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- fresh thyme or basil, for garnishing (optional)
- Add the olive oil to a tall soup pot or dutch oven over medium heat. You need a large pot for this recipe as the mushrooms will initially take up significant space. When oil is warm, add the onion, salt, garlic, dried oregano, basil. Cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and soy sauce and cover the pot. Cook on medium high, covered, for around 10 minutes. I stirred 2-3 times during this part. The mushrooms will release their water which will form the base of the soup.
- Remove the lid, and cook uncovered for an additional 10 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and cook for a final 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. In total, you will cook the soup for 30 minutes, in three 10 minute sections.
- Add sea salt and black pepper to taste. I added another teaspoon of salt to bring out the flavors.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and serve. Pairs well with wine and a piece of bread.
- Store in covered container in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
*Recipe is a guide. Adapt as desired. Adapted from Lovin It Vegan.
Keywords: vegan cream of mushroom soup, mushroom soup, cream of mushroom soup, homemade mushroom soup, best cream of mushroom soup