Vegan Green Bean Casserole
Vegan green bean casserole recipes that captures all of the nostalgic holiday deliciousness.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 5 servings
- Category: Vegan, Vegetarian, Side, Holiday
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American, Vegan, Healthy, Holiday
- 1 pound green beans (rinsed, trimmed, cut in half)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces thinly sliced cremini mushrooms
- 2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 2 cups crispy fried onions, divided into thirds
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil. Add green beans and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain and quickly run cold water over the beans until cool so they stop cooking. Drain and set aside.
- To prepare sauce, add olive oil to large oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Once warm, add shallots and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms and season with more salt and pepper. Cook for 3-4 minutes until lightly browned.
- Sprinkle in flour and stir to coat the veggies. Cook for 1 minute, then slowly add in veggie stock, stirring frequently so it blends and thickens.
- Add almond milk and stir frequently. Season with additional salt and pepper as needed and bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low to thicken. Cook for 5-7 minutes, or until thick and bubbly. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Remove from heat. Add all cooked green beans and 1/3 of the fried onions (about 2/3 cup). Stir until well-coated. Top with remaining 1 1/3 cups of fried onions.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until warmed through and bubbling. Serve immediately.
- Store leftovers in covered container in fridge up to 4 days.
Keywords: vegan green bean casserole, vegan green bean casserole, healthy green bean casserole