Vegan Jackfruit Tacos with Avocado Cilantro Sauce
Flavorful and delicious jackfruit tacos with avocado cilantro sauce – perfect balance between spicy and creamy.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Vegan, Healthy, Mexican
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Vegan, American, Mexican
- 2 (20 oz) cans jackfruit, in water or brine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons cane sugar
- 1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, roughly chopped (depending on preferred spiciness)
- 2-3 teaspoons adobo sauce (from the can)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2/3 cups water
- 2-3 tablespoons lime juice
- Corn tortillas for serving
- Shredded red cabbage, hot sauce, pepita seeds, chopped cilantro for serving (optional)
Avocado Cilantro Sauce:
- 1 large avocado
- 1 lime, juice
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro (stems removed)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup of water (as needed for consistency)
- Drain jackfruit and rinse in a colander. Cut off the tougher core portion of the jackfruit (this is the part that doesn’t easily flake apart). You can either finely chop the core or throw it away. Once the core is removed, use your hands to shred the jackfruit into small stringy pieces. Rinse the jackfruit once more in a colander, drain, and lightly pat dry. It doesn’t need to be 100% dry but you want to remove excess water. See photos for additional reference.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add olive oil, onion, and garlic. Sauté for 4 minutes, until onions are soft.
- Add jackfruit, salt, smoked paprika, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, cane sugar, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, soy sauce, water, and lime juice. Stir to coat evenly. Reduce heat to low – medium. Cook uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While jackfruit is simmering, prepare your avocado cilantro sauce by combining all ingredients in a small food processor and blending until smooth.
- After simmering the jackfruit, taste and adjust flavor as needed. I added more smoked paprika, cumin, soy sauce, and lime juice.
- Turn up heat to medium-high and cook for 2-3 more minutes until additional spices are aromatic. Remove from heat.
- Serve immediately with fresh tortillas, sliced cabbage, cilantro, hot sauce, pepita seeds, and avocado cilantro sauce.
- Store leftover jackfruit in covered container in refrigerator up to 4 days.
*Recipe is a guide. Adapt as desired. Inspired by Plant & Vine’s guest recipe on Recipes Worth Repeating.
Keywords: jackfruit taco, vegan taco, spicy jackfruit taco, pulled jackfruit taco