Vegan Lentil Loaf
Delicious and hearty vegan lentil loaf, chockfull of healthy vegetables and spices.
- Author: Plant & Vine
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- Category: Vegan, Vegetarian, Main
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American, Vegan, Healthy
- 1 cup dry green or brown whole lentils, cooked
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 1/3 cup water
- Oil for cooking vegetables
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small white or yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 4-6 ounces Crimini mushrooms, quartered then diced
- 3/4 cup oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
Lentil Loaf Glaze:
- 6 tablespoons organic ketchup
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Rinse lentils. In large pot, add vegetable broth, bay leaves, salt, and lentils. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally until soft. Once done, remove lid and set aside to cool, about 15 minutes. Do not drain. Once cooled, remove bay leaves.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In small mixing bowl, combine flaxseed meal and water. Set aside uncovered in refrigerator for 10 minutes or more. This will thicken upon sitting.
- In frying pan with high sides, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, bell pepper, carrots, celery, and mushrooms. Add all spices, mixing until evenly dispersed. Sauté about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Set aside to cool.
- Separate about 1/2 of lentils. Using an immersion blender, food processor, or potato masher, coarsely blend lentils. You don’t want a soup level of smoothness but you do want to soften the consistency.
- Combine sautéed vegetables, lentils, oats, oat flour and flax egg, stirring until well mixed. Taste, adding salt, pepper, and any additional spices as desired.
- Place mixture into a loaf pan lined with parchment paper overlapping the sides of the pan for easy removal. Make sure to fill mixture all the way to the edges of the pan.
- Prepare glaze by combining all ingredients in a small bowl and stirring until incorporated. Spread 2/3 of glaze over top of loaf.
- Bake in oven for about 45 – 55 minutes. Let cool a bit, about 10-15 minutes, before slicing. The texture will be less messy the longer the loaf is allowed to cool.
- Store individual slices in airtight container in refrigerator up to 3 days.
*Recipe is a guide. Adapt as needed. Adapted from The Simple Veganista.
**Lentil loaf texture is softer than regular meatloaf so be prepared for a delicious, slightly messy experience!
Keywords: vegan lentil loaf, lentil loaf, meatloaf alternative