These vegan meatballs are awesome. They add savory depth to your pasta dinners.
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 80 minutes
- Yield: 12 meatballs
- Category: Vegan, Vegetarian, Pasta, Main
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American, Vegan, Healthy, Italian
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked and cooled
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed, drained, and dried
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup shallot, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup vegan parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons vegan worcestershire sauce
- Prepare quinoa according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Add rinsed, dried black beans to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, until beans appear cracked and feel dry to the touch (see photo for reference).
- Remove beans from the oven and then increase oven heat to 375 degrees F.
- Heat a large, oven-safe skillet or dutch oven over medium heat. When hot, add oil, garlic, and shallot. Sauté for 3 minutes, until slightly softened, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Add black beans to a food processor with garlic, shallot, salt, oregano, and red pepper flake. Pulse until consistency is a loose meal. Do not overmix. You want it to be coarse, not paste-like. Add cooled quinoa, vegan parmesan cheese, tomato paste, fresh basil, and vegan worcestershire. Pulse to combine until a textured mixture forms. Again, you’re looking for texture, not perfectly smooth.
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed. If it’s too tacky, wet, or sticky, add more vegan parmesan cheese and pulse to combine.
- Scoop out heaping 1 1/2 tablespoon amounts and form into small balls using your hands. Add to a plate and refrigerate for 15 minutes (see picture for reference).
- Heat an oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add meatballs and sauté for 3-4 minutes, gently turning the meatballs to get a slight crust on all sides. Transfer to the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes, until golden on the edges and slightly dry to the touch.
- Serve with cooked pasta, marinara, and additional vegan parmesan cheese.
- Leftover meatballs keep in stored container in refrigerator for 4-5 days.
Keywords: vegan meatballs, meatless meatballs, vegan meatballs and spaghetti, vegan pasta