Vegan Mushroom Risotto
Delicious, creamy, easy-to-make, and comforting. This vegan mushroom risotto recipe will fulfill your daily requirement for moon power with its focus on mushrooms.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Mains, Vegan, Pasta
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: American
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 16 ounces crimini mushrooms (Portabella), cleaned, quartered
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 small shallots, finely chopped
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (or sub more vegetable broth)
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup vegan parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- Fresh chopped parsley to garnish
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. When hot, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and all mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté (stirring frequently) until slightly browned (around 3-4 minutes). Remove mushrooms from pan and set aside in a small dish.
- While mushrooms are cooking, in a small separate saucepan, heat vegetable broth over medium heat. Once simmering, reduce heat to low to keep warm.
- Heat the same large saucepan over medium heat once again. When hot, add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and chopped shallots. Sauté for 1-2 minutes until softened.
- Add Arborio rice to pan with shallots, and cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally to coat in remaining oil.
- Add dry white wine (if you pair with white Burgundy, you can use in recipe). Cook for 2 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed.
- Slowly add warmed vegetable stock 1/2 cup at a time to Arborio rice, stirring almost constantly. Let the risotto come to a low simmer on medium heat in between 1/2 cups of vegetable broth.
- Continue to add vegetable stock, stirring to incorporate, until the rice is al dente (15-25 minutes depending on size of pan). During the final 2-3 minutes, add in peas so they have time to warm.
- Remove rice from heat and add vegan butter, vegan parmesan cheese, and cooked mushrooms from earlier (reserve some as toppings if desired). Stir until all ingredients are coated.
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed. Vegan butter for richness, vegan parmesan cheese for cheesiness, and salt to bring out all flavors.
- To serve, top with additional vegan parmesan cheese and a sprinkle of parsley as desired.
- Best served fresh but leftovers will hold covered in fridge for 3-4 days.
Keywords: mushroom risotto, vegan mushroom risotto, pea recipe, vegan pasta, mushroom recipe