Vegan Potato Leek Soup
Creamy and delicious vegan potato leek soup that is perfect with a warm slice of crusty bread and a cold glass of white wine.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- Category: Vegan, Vegetarian, Soup
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: American, Vegan, Healthy
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 large leeks, thinly sliced (white & light green part only)
- 5 medium russet potatoes, chopped (I left skins on for more nutrients)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 3 bay leaves
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- Heat the oil, butter, and a hearty pinch of salt in a large pot over medium heat.
- Once warmed, add the leeks and onion. Sauté until softened and starting to turn translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, garlic, thyme, rosemary, basil, and coriander. Sauté for 2-3 minutes until aromatic.
- Add the vegetable broth, bay leaves, salt, and pepper. Raise heat until it comes to a low boil. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cook for about 15-20 minutes, until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Remove from heat. Stir in the coconut milk and lemon juice. Season to taste – I added more salt and pepper, to bring out the flavors more.
- Before blending, set aside a few pieces of potato, if desired. Remove Bay Leaves. Using an immersion blender or Vitamix, blend until creamy. You can also use a regular blender and carefully blend in batches.
- To serve, add a few pieces of cooked potatoes and top with fresh cracked black pepper.
- Store in covered container in refrigerator up to 4 days. Flavors will continue to meld over time, so don’t feel like you need to eat it immediately.
*Recipe is a guide. Adapt as desired. Inspired by Vegan Huggs’ delicious recipe.
Keywords: potato leek soup, vegan potato leek soup, dairy-free potato leek soup