Vegan Sloppy Joes
Easy vegan sloppy joes with lentils instead of beef and a flavorful, smoky tomato sauce.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 5 servings
- Category: Vegan, Vegetarian, Main, Sandwich
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: American, Vegan, Healthy
- 1 cup uncooked green lentils
- 2-3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow or white onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons vegan-friendly Worcestershire sauce
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1-2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- For serving: whole grain hamburger buns, sliced fresh onion rings, pickles, hot sauce
- Add water and lentils to medium saucepan and heat over medium-high heat. Bring to a low boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook uncovered for about 18 minutes, or until tender. When tender, drain excess liquid and set aside.
- While lentils are cooking, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add olive oil, onion, garlic, and bell pepper. Season with a healthy pinch of salt and pepper. Sautè for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently, or until the peppers and onions are tender.
- Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, cumin, and paprika. Stir until evenly distributed.
- Add cooked, drained lentils to the skillet and stir until evenly coated in the tomato sauce.
- Continue cooking over medium-low heat until sauce begins to thicken, stirring occasionally – about 10 minutes. Throughout this cooking period, taste and adjust flavor as needed. I added more chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, and salt.
- Serve the mixture on toasted buns with sliced onion, pickles, and hot sauce (all optional).
- Store leftover sloppy joe mixture in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
*Recipe is a guide. Adapt as desired.
Keywords: vegan sloppy joe, sloppy joe with lentils, lentil sloppy joe