Vegan Spinach Dip with Kale
Creamy and hearty vegan spinach dip with kale recipe. Perfect as a year-round appetizer.
- Prep Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour, 35 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- Category: Vegan, Vegetarian, Appetizer, Side
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Vegan, Healthy, Appetizer
- 1 1/4 cups cashews (soaked in boiling hot water for 1 hour, then drained)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 6 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeeze-drained
- 3 cups kale, stems removed and chopped
- 1/4 cup vegan parmesan cheese
- Red pepper flakes
- Veggies, pita chips, or sliced, toasted baguette, for serving
- Bring several cups of water to a boil. Remove water from heat and pour over cashews. Soak for 1 hour. Drain thoroughly.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a small, oven-safe serving dish. A 9×9 baking dish will be too large, so try to find something smaller. See photos for what I used.
- Add drained cashews and almond milk to a food processor and blend into a cream. Add 6 tablespoons nutritional yeast and 1 teaspoon salt and mix again. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. The cheesy, salty flavor should be pronounced, so add additional nutritional yeast or salt as needed. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté garlic and shallot in 1 tablespoon olive oil for 2-3 minutes, until fragrant. Add spinach and kale and season with salt and black pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, until greens begin to wilt.
- Add about 3/4 of the cashew cream to the cooked greens, garlic, and shallot. Toss to combine. Add 2 tablespoons of vegan parmesan cheese and stir to combine. Add additional cream as desired (I used all of the cream in my version).
- Add to prepared baking dish and top with remaining vegan parmesan and a healthy pinch of red pepper flakes for a little heat.
- Bake for 17-25 minutes, until lightly browned on top.
- Before serving, top with additional vegan parmesan cheese or red pepper flakes (optional).
- Serve with sliced vegetables, pita chips, or toasted baguette. Best when warm and fresh out of the oven.
- Store in covered container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Keywords: spinach dip, spinach kale dip, vegan spinach dip, vegan kale dip, spinach dip with kale