Vegan Thumbprint Cookies
Delicious vegan thumbprint cookies that are crowd-pleasers anytime of year.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 60 minutes
- Yield: 20 cookies
- Category: Vegan, Vegetarian, Dessert, Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American, Vegan, Healthy
- 1 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup Fruit Jam (use whatever type you prefer; I went for half raspberry and half marionberry jams).
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon almond milk (or other non-dairy milk), you will likely need a small additional amount
- 1-2 drops almond extract
- Add the vegan butter and sugar to a bowl and cream them together, using an electric mixer (or a super strong bicep). Add the almond extract and mix together.
- Add in the flour and salt to the bowl with the creamed butter and sugar. Stir in by hand until it forms a thick dough.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Roll dough into balls, about 1″ in diameter, and place the balls onto the tray. Use your thumb to create even thumbprints in the dough balls (see picture for example). Using your fingers, try to smooth out any cracks that occur around the edges of the cookies when you create the thumb indentations.
- Place the tray with the cookies into the freezer for 15-20 minutes. This helps the dough firm up which will better support the jam while baking.
- While the cookies are freezing, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- After 15-20 minutes, remove the tray from the oven and fill the thumbprints with your preferred jam.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until the edges of the cookies are slightly browned. You don’t want the edges to be fully browned, only slightly, as we’re going for a mix between soft and crunchy.
- Let them cool for at least 30 minutes before glazing. If you’re in a hurry, you can stick them in fridge for 5 minutes to expedite this process.
- To make the glaze, add the powdered sugar, soy milk, and two drops of almond extract to a small bowl. Using your electric mixer or some hand-powered vigorous stirring, mix until the ingredients become a glaze. You will likely need to add a few extra drops of soy milk to get the right amount.
- To drizzle the glaze over your cookies, use a piping bag to pipe it on or make a makeshift piping bag but using a ziplock bag. Add the glaze to ziplock bag then cut off a tiny snippet from the corner where you collect the glaze. Varying the amount of steady pressure will determine how thickly your glaze comes out.
- Store in covered container at room temperature once completely cooled. Will keep for 3 days in container.
*Recipe is a guide. Adapt as desired.
Keywords: vegan thumbprint cookies, thumbprint cookies, raspberry jam cookies